My education and experience:
I have no credentials. I'm self-taught, other than a two-year electronics course in high school. In 1980, I began repairing consumer electronics; I worked for a land-mobile radio shop; then I began repairing amateur radio gear for local hams. By the late 1980's, I was specializing in ham radio repairs. Now, my business is totally internet-based.
My business philosophy:
A wise friend once quipped, "Do you run your business, or does your business run you?" That about sums it up.
To provide honest and quality service at reasonable rates and turn-around times, but only within the confines of my policies.
Why I only accept on-line payments:
- My business is now internet-based. And in my opinion, if you're doing business on-line, you can pay on-line.
- Since I no longer accept old-fashioned paper payments, I no longer need to travel to the bank for deposits (a 20-mile round trip).
- Since payments are instant, I can quickly return customer's gear when repairs are completed, which frees up shelf-space for the next incoming shipments.
- I print and pay for UPS shipping labels on-line, and they pick up shipments at my shop.
- I shop on-line. I pay my bills on-line.
- I use debit cards. I pay at the pump. Cash is a hindrance to me.
- This is the 21st century.
Why I authorize and schedule incoming shipments:
In my opinion, this is the most efficient and responsible way to run a one-man repair shop.